Friday, November 14, 2014

Girl at the End of the World by Elizabeth Esther

Girl at the End of the World is the fascinating, and often horrifying, memoir of Elizabeth Esther's life in a cult called The Assembly. It was very interesting to read of a life so different from my own, but was also very painful to read. Elizabeth endured daily "spankings", that were abusive and way overboard. 

 The legalism the Assembly enforced was beyond Pharisaical. Like all cults, every action and even thought was controlled by its leaders. Although this memoir was often heartbreaking, the author managed to interject some humor and uplifting moments. Her own parents and grandparents were leaders of the cult, and while misguided would be a vast understatement, I do believe they loved her and did actually want good for her. Elizabeth herself attempts to portray their love, while being truthful about the life she lived.

I'm sure this story would be most insightful and hopeful to others who were raised in a cult or some type of radically legalistic environment. Neither of those conditions apply to my own life, so I am a bit torn about how to review this book. Although interesting, I cannot relate to it much, and therefore struggle somewhat with how to apply it to myself. Certainly it is a good reminder of how much I appreciate my own freedom in Christ and a valuable warning of the dangers of taking Scripture out of context, twisting it for my one's own uses.

 I received a copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment