Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Battle Against Hitler: Faith, Truth and Defiance in the Shadow of the Third Reich by Dietrich Von Hildebrand

I was interested in reading My Battle Against Hitler: Faith, Truth and Defiance in the Shadow of the Third Reich because I am interested in history, especially of World War II history.  I very much enjoy autobiographies and memoirs and as a Christian, am inspired about stories of faith.  It looked to me like this book would really fit the bill.  I could not have been more wrong.  I seldom find a book that I really DON'T like, but this was one of them.  It was one of the most boring books I've ever read.  Honestly, if I had not agreed to review it, I wouldn't have read more than the first chapter. 

My Battle Against Hitler is the memoir of Dietrich Von Hildebrand, a German philosphy professor in the 1920s and 1930s.  He is also an extremely devout Catholic.  Unless you are also an extremely devout Catholic, you may not be able to relate to this book.  Although deeply opposed to any prejudice against Jews by the Nazis, he himself is prejudiced against any Christian who is not Catholic. I'm sure the word "Catholic" was used hundreds of times in this book, and it is in large part a record of what was happening in the Catholic church during that time period. 

Mostly the book records his conversations and journal writings against the Nazi regime.  I'm not saying that I don't agree with his anti-Nazi viewpoint, because I certainly do. But unless you are a scholar, I don't think there would be much in this book to hold your interest. The only division in the book are years and each chapter just goes on and on recounting meetings, lectures, symposiums and dinner parties that Von Hildebrand attended.

Thank goodness I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.  I would have been beyond upset if I had paid for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment