Wednesday, November 11, 2015

2 A.M. at the Cat's Pajamas : A Novel by Marie-Helene Bertino

2 A.M. at the Cat's Pajamas wins two awards in my book: weirdest and worst read ever.  I find it impossible to believe that it was named one of NPR's Best Books of 2014.  Seriously?  I had to force myself to finish it and the only reason I did is that I committed to review it for Blogging for Books and felt I couldn't review it honestly without reading the whole awful thing. Thankfully received this book for free from them and didn't waste my own money buying it, although I'm sorry they wasted theirs sending it to me.

When I chose this book, I thought it would be a lovely way to start out the holiday season since it takes place on December 23, or as the author, Marie-Helene Bertino calls it, Christmas Eve Eve. Ha!  Lovely is a word I would never use to describe this book.  It is, in my opinion, awful.  The main character is a nine-year old girl names Madeleine, who speaks with a potty mouth, spouting swear words left and right.  If that sounds like your idea of a Christmas story, then perhaps you WILL enjoy the read.

The other characters were mostly depressing and depressed. They were all desperately seeking love or money or recognition or fame that mostly eluded them. There is one particular scene where one of the characters meets a woman in a strip club and moments later has a quickie with her in the club bathroom, which the reader is privileged to read about in great detail. Now, isn't that sweet?

The back cover of the book quotes it as being vivacious, charming and moving.  Sorry--I just don't see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment